Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Lying on Your Resume" Response

I thought that this article was really interesting. I can believe that many people lie on their resumes, but I don't think that it's right. I don't see how some people think that they are going to get away with lying about big things, like having a master's degree. I can definitely see where people may feel that they need to tell "white lies" to make themselves a little more appealing to an employer. This would be especially true for someone that has been out of work for a long time and desperate to find a job. I didn't ever think about the fact that lying on your resume could hurt other people, but it makes sense. It could potentially keep people who are actually qualified for the job from getting it, which isn't fair. If you lie on your resume and get a job, you won't ever be able to live up to the expectations of your employers because the expectations will be based on false information. I think that it would be helpful for people who are not satisfied with their resumes to be informed about how to handle resume dilemmas in an ethical way.

No comments: