Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cover Letters

The use of a cover letter is very important when trying to provide information about yourself to possible employers. These articles on cover letters give a lot of good advice about how to write a proper cover letter. One article discussed how cover letters are limited in value because they are only read after the employer has found interest in a resume. The article also says that the cover letter should not be about you but should be about the company. The second article discussed when you should use a cover letter. Your cover letter should be specific and personal and identify what you can do for the company and what the company will need to do to buy your product. It's important to write a basic cover letter structure, but don't send the exact same letter to each company.

I'm not sure if I agree with the Postscript Technique article. I've never heard of anything like this before, but then again, I don't know much about cover letters. It seems kind of weird, though, to use a P.S. in something professional like this.

The most helpful part of the tutorial, for me, was the Cover Letter Checklist because it was brief, concise, and got to the main points of what's important when writing a cover letter. I think that I will review this checklist when I am writing my cover letter for my mock interview.

I also thought that the article about the Testimonial Cover Letter Technique was really neat. I think that it would be much more beneficial to employers to hear about how great you are from someone who knows you rather than from yourself. If I had a testimonial, I would use it in my cover letter for my mock interview.

No comments: